Targeting a resume to particular job position is the most important step in a job hunting process. This strategy easily helps you link a candidate (yourself) and the company.
Take a look at the job ad bellow, and the two following examples of bad and good resumes.
Location: New York, NY
Experience Level: 1-3 years
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Estimate: $50,000 + Bonus
Born from performance, XYZ creates dreams and opportunities for people. We're visionaries and innovators empowered for success.
XYZ has an exciting opportunity for a Sales Assistant for our Manhattan Division. This position's main role is to effectively share XYZ stories, our culture and our services for new business clients.
- Demonstrate an ability to tell stories how to solve business challenges, produce ideas with depth and good reasoning, and be able to clearly articulate the journey from concept to solution;
- Plan territory sales: analyze data from company systems and optimize the market. Be able to travel 50% of the Time;
- Maintain proper administrative controls to ensure that you, together with a sales team, deliver high-quality work within corporate guidelines and approved monthly goals and timescales. Ensure all deadlines/release dates are met;
- Complete an average of 30 calls and 5 meetings a day;
- Monitor progress of all business client groups. Maintain weekly and monthly sales status reports.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- We search for a positive and high energy personality that is entrepreneurial and sales focused.
- Proven experience as a sales associate with a complete end-to-end understanding of sales development methodologies;
- Professionally communicate verbally and in writing with a broad spectrum of audiences, ranging from micro-managers to senior level executives;
- Must be flexible to work non-traditional hours due to the accelerated nature of projects.
- Strong organizational, multitasking and prioritizing skills, excessive attention to detail.
- Must be results driven: work independently with minimal supervision.
This position requires a minimum of 1-3 years sales or relevant experience.
High School Diploma is required. Bachelor's Degree is preferred.
XYZ is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please read job ad again and apply for the position only if you meet the criteria.
We welcome you to join us,
HR director John Walters
Statements are much stronger when duties are turned into and the experience is backed by numbers. Therefore, showing proved results on a resume like "increased sales goal by 260%" is a very effective strategy.
Finally, don't forget to pick up keywords from the job ad. Words such as Sales, Team, Energy, are stressed by a company so they need to be on your resume too. As well as other important business words.
Once you start talking the same language as the company, you become more relevant candidate than others.
Check out additional experience statement examples.
Sales Associate requires skills such as: Sales, Communication, Energy, Active Listening, Strategic Prospecting Skills, Organizational Skills, Creativity, Strategic Time Planning, Initiative, Analytical Skills, Flexibility and Perseverance.